Monday 12 November 2007

Charlton's Officially Unofficial Campaign Song- The Magic Position

Evey campaign needs a tune that makes you want to change the world...one that inspires and makes you perspire and features xylophones!

Patrick Wolfe's Magic Position does it for me and it's so relevant to the magic position that the Greens could be in with a strong presence in the Senate. I've spent many a commuting hour constructing the perfect campaign clip but alas due to copyright and a virtually non existent promo budget the images will have to be supplied by your imagination.

So imagine the the perfect pictures to the (campaign commentary) and enjoy the catchy tune. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeR9_7cACUc
The lyrics are bold and my commentary(is in brackets and italics)

The Magic Position by Patrick Wolfe

(Kids running along a beach and being free and happy, the woosh whoosh of waves and squawking seagulls- Greens Senators standing on the middle of a a see-saw and rocking it from side to side with Labor and Liberal party heads on each end)
So let the people talk this Monday morning walk
(thousands of people walking against warming
then Johnny Howard in his tracky dacks)
Right past the fabulous mess we're in
(glaciers breaking up, drought parched land, floods
v's Johnny H and his dollar signs)
It's gonna be a beautiful day
(seas of windmills and
photovolatics shimmering in the sunlight)
So do the bluebirds sing
(Sacred Kingfisher-kookaburras laughing)
As I take your hand, And you take my kiss (kids)
(Smiling Green people running along the beach with kids)
And we take the world
(Montage of all the Green politicians and people across the globe
at every level in every democracy)
'Cause out of all the people I've known
(Dalai Lama, Al Gore, and other famous folk)
The places I've been
(Scenic pix of Barrington Tops, Tasmanian wilderness)
The songs that I have sung
The wonders I've seen
(More pretty pix of all the beautiful places under threat by global warming)
Now that the dreams are all coming true
(Bad dreams of the melting iceburgs, bushfires)
Who is the one that leads me on through
(puzzled person deciding who to vote for
walking through the election day throng)
It's you
(Insert image of self,
feeling strong,
empowered and happy )
Who puts me in the magic position, darling now
(Greens Senators on a see saw)
You put me in the magic position
(Image of self ticking the Greens #1 on the Senate ticket)
To live, to learn, to love in the major key
(Senators on the See Saw and the words of Greens Principles wafting by
"Social & Economic Justice,
Grassroots Democracy,
Ecological Sustainability
Peace Non Violence and Disarmament")
a Major key, a Major key
(Senators see sawing holding a big green key with an Australia on the end)
And I know how you've hurt
(Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people,
refugees in detention)
And been dragged through the dirt
(People marching for Your rights at work)
But c'mon get back up now , It's the time to live
(People marching for peace and
walking against warming)
As you give your love to me
(Happ yvoter lodging their Greens #1ticket)
I'm gonna keep it carefully
(Greens Senators sincerely thanking you)
Deep in the treasure chest below my breast
(A Green triangle treasure chest morphing into a Green heart)
'Cause out of all the people I've known
(all of your friends and family, young and old))
The places I've been
(all the wonderful, beautiful places you've been to)
The songs that I have sung
The wonders I've seen
(the best of the most beautiful places you've been to)
Now that the dreams are all coming true
(your beautiful places underwater,
or parched or destroyed by the impacts of global warming)
Who is the one that leads me on through
(Bob Brown, Kerry Nettle talking in Parliament
and challenging George W Bush)
It's you... Who puts me in the magic position, darling now
(Image of self ticking the Greens #1 on the Senate ticket)
You put me in the magic position, darling now
(Sentors filling up the seats in the Senate)
So let me put you in the magic position,darling,
(Senators standing up and speaking for you in the Senate)
'Cause I'm singing in the major key,the major key, the major key
(A great big green key, with an Australia shape on the end,
opening a door labelled 'democracy')
Let me put you in the major key
(on the other side of the door is you)

No comments: